The Public Policy Leadership Series
A brand new program from the Leadership Institute of Greater Las Vegas and the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Successful communities and regions have leaders who understand the tenets of sound public policy. The Public Policy Leadership (PPL) Series - "People" Series, for short - educates community leaders interested in serving in public office on the tenets of good public policy and governance.
PPL is a partnership between the UNLV Greenspun College of Urban Affairs and the Leadership Foundation of Greater Las Vegas, a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to developing educated and capable community leaders. The Greenspun College of Urban Affairs is dedicated to personal and academic development, the advancement of a wide range of disciplines, and the improvement of public policy and professional practices.
The Series will appeal to individuals who hold (or want to hold) elected office or hold leadership positions in the public, private, and non-profit sectors and want to engage in public policy and be effective change-makers. The Series will help educate participants on how to develop sound public policy, better understand functions and structure of government in Nevada and its funding sources and mechanisms, and learn best practices in public policy development.
The PPL Series Curriculum
The Series will be taught by professors in the UNLV Greenspun College of Urban Affairs and its School of Public Policy and Leadership. The series will present a range of policy topics as well as leadership development discussions. Topics will include:
- Understanding the role of the elected official in the policy process
- Learning how to be an effective elected official
- Learning how to communicate with citizens and the media
- Understanding the Nevada Budgeting process, as well as sources of revenue and funding mechanisms
- Learning tools to evaluate policies, including resources for better policy decisions
Schedule and Tuition
The Series will take place one evening per week for 2.5 hours per session. The Fall 2016 Series begins September 22, 2016 and concludes in October. Classes will take place in the evenings, from 6:00-8:30 p.m. The cost of the program will be $750. Applications will be made through the Leadership Institute of Greater Las Vegas for selection into the class cohort. Applications can downloaded below, and submitted directly to email@example.com.
For questions and additional information on the PPL Series, please contact Cara Clarke, Executive Director of the Leadership Institute of Greater Las Vegas, at 702.586.3832 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Advisory Committee
- Bob Brown, Opportunity Village
- Tim Cashman, Las Vegas Harley Davidson
- Denice Miller, MGM Resorts International
- Paul Moradkhan, Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce
- Alisa Nave-Worth, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck
- Erin McMullen, Boyd Gaming
- Gail Tuzzolo, Nevada State AFL-CIO
- Julie Wilcox, Southern Nevada Water Authority